Introduction to High Performance Computing
Register now for our upcoming Introduction to HPC workshop delivered online via Zoom on Friday 8 May from 9:45am – 2:45pm AEST. We strongly recommend that you log on from 9:30am AEST to troubleshoot any connection issues to Zoom and Slack. We’ll be available after the workshop until 3:00pm AEST for informal discussions.
This workshop will provide an overview of what a High-Performance Computing system looks like. Users will get hands on experience with a small cluster, and learn how to use Linux command-line tools to write Slurm scripts which they can submit as simple batch jobs. After the workshop, users will be able to use what they learn on much bigger systems.
The environment and tools that will be taught and used in the workshop include:
1. Linux command-line interface (CLI)
2. Bash shell script
3. Slurm (job scheduler) commands
4. Text editors such as nano
What will be covered?
1. What’s a computer cluster and the purpose of using it?
2. How to access a cluster and what are the best practices.
3. How to submit a job script.
4. How to use software module in your job script.
5. How to use the cluster resources effectively
Prerequisites: This workshop is aimed at beginners. However, it is mandatory that you have prior command line experience.
What you’ll need: A computer with speakers and a microphone (note: webcams and dual monitors are recommended but not required). A Google Chrome or Firefox web browser and Zoom are the only required software. Your computer will need a ssh client on it. This is already installed for Mac/Unix machines, but for Windows you will need to install a tool such as MobaXterm (https://mobaxterm.mobatek.
How to register?
1. Monash staff and Graduate Research students register here.
Note: that Data Fluency workshops are now only available to Graduate Research students.
2. External participants from Monash affiliate partners only (The Hudson Institute, The Alfred Hospital, Peninsula Health, Baker Institute, CSIRO and MASSIVE) register here.
Data Fluency for Research is a cross-disciplinary initiative developing researcher capability at Monash University. Keep an eye out for additional upcoming workshops across our campuses by logging in to your myDevelopment training space, and also by subscribing to the Data Fluency mailing list to receive updates on events and workshops.