Data Fluency: Introduction to Unix shell and Command Line Interface
Register now for our upcoming Introduction to Unix Shell and Command Line Interface workshop delivered online via Zoom on Thursday 23 April from 1:00pm-5:00pm. We strongly recommend that you log on from 12:30pm to troubleshoot any connection issues to Zoom and Slack. We’ll be available after the workshop until 5:30pm for informal discussions.
The Unix shell has been around longer than most of its users have been alive. It has survived so long because it’s a powerful tool that allows people to do complex things with just a few keystrokes. More importantly, it helps them combine existing programs in new ways and automate repetitive tasks, so they aren’t typing the same things over and over again. Use of the shell is fundamental to using a wide range of other powerful tools and computing resources (including “high-performance computing” supercomputers). This workshop will start you on a path towards using these resources effectively and guides you through the basics of file systems and the shell.
This workshop will cover navigating and working with files and directories, pipes and filters, loops, shell scripts and how to find files.
What you’ll need: A computer with speakers and a microphone (note: webcams and dual monitors are recommended but not required). A web browser and Zoom are the only required software. A Zoom link with instructions, and login details to connect to a Unix server will be sent to registrants 3 days prior to the workshop.
How to register?
1. Monash staff and students with a myDevelopment profile click here.
Are you a Monash undergraduate/postgraduate student without a myDevelopment profile?
– Access myDevelopment from the Research tile on the my.Monash portal. Your first access attempt to myDevelopment via the my.Monash portal will initiate the creation of a myDevelopment profile supported by single-sign-on.
– On creation of your profile, you will be presented with a Welcome page. Ability to view and register for training will be available from 8:30am the following day.
Click here more information or to request to have two myDevelopment profiles merged.
2. External participants (Monash affiliate partners only)
If you already have a myDevelopment profile, please login and register as follows:
– Into the search box type “Data Fluency” or the software you are interested in. eg “Intro to Unix Shell”
– Click “Request”
Don’t have a myDevelopment profile? Register here. If you’d like to register for workshops before they are advertised, create a myDevelopment profile now by following these instructions.
Data Fluency for Research is a cross-disciplinary initiative developing researcher capability at Monash University. Keep an eye out for additional upcoming workshops across our campuses by logging in to your myDevelopment training space, and also by subscribing to the Data Fluency mailing list to receive updates on events and workshops.