Data Fluency: Introduction to HPC (High Performance Computing)
Register now for our upcoming Introduction to HPC workshop being held at the Clayton campus on Friday 20th March from 10 am – 3 pm.
This workshop is aimed at beginners. However, it is mandatory that you have prior command-line experience. BYO laptop to the workshop.
This workshop will provide an overview of what a High-Performance Computing system looks like. Users will get hands-on experience with a small cluster, and learn how to use Linux command-line tools to write Slurm scripts which they can submit as simple batch jobs. After the workshop, users will be able to use what they learn in much bigger systems.
The environment and tools that will be taught and used in the workshop include:
1. Linux command-line interface (CLI)
2. Bash shell script
3. Slurm (job scheduler) commands
4. Text editors such as VIM and nano
What will be covered?
1. What’s a computer cluster and the purpose of using it?
2. How to access a cluster and what are the best practices.
3. How to submit a job script.
4. How to use software module in your job script.
5. How to use the cluster resources effectively
Venue: L1.04, Level 1, Matheson Library Annexe | Monash University Clayton campus | 44 Exhibition Walk | Clayton
How to register?
2. Monash students other than Graduate Research
– Navigate to the Access for students page and create a profile in MyDevelopment by completing the form linked on that page. You will receive an email after 24 hours with your login details.
– Using your login details, log into myDevelopment.
– Search for upcoming Data Fluency workshops, by typing into the search box “Data Fluency” or the software you are interested in. eg “HPC”
– Click “Request”
3. External participants
If you already have a myDevelopment profile, please login and register as follows:
– Into the search box type “Data Fluency” or the software you are interested in. eg “HPC”
– Click “Request”
Don’t have a myDevelopment profile? Register here. If you’d like to register for workshops before they are advertised, create a myDevelopment profile now by following these instructions.
Data Fluency for Research is a cross-disciplinary initiative developing researcher capability at Monash University. Keep an eye out for additional upcoming workshops across our campuses by logging in to your myDevelopment training space, and also by subscribing to the Data Fluency mailing list to receive updates on events and workshops.